Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Happy Halloween

Note: a stake leader had me ask Kuyler some questions that they are asking the missionaries in our stake so they can use the answers in a standards night activity, you'll see the answers below.

October 28th

Hello again,

This week has just been so amazing! We did a lot of work with less active members and saw A LOT of success. The chapel was full to the brim with people in sacrament meeting. The ward/stake has been praying and fasting for these members for the past few weeks, and the fact that a lot of them are coming back and becoming happy just isn't a coincidence. Because of these happening re-activations, not only are less active members coming back to church, but people are starting to progress toward baptism especially in part member families. This is my core experience with God this week, to see how he answers prayers and fasting. It has been really great to see His hand in His work. 

I have grown a lot through my studies of faith this last week. I have learned that faith is WAY more than just believing, it is acting, it is knowing, it is changing, it is helping. If faith does not lead to all these works, then it is not true faith. I like a quote that a man said yesterday in sacrament meeting,  "If the Church is not true, to you--then you are not true to the Church. How true that is. I have also started exercising even more faith in my prayers. Praying for little things, specific things. It helps a lot because it actually happens! So cool. I love the power of prayer when coupled with faith. 

So, I think I can play Mormonopoly. I know we can play board games and stuff on P-day so maybe!  As far a a GPS, I know that you can load maps onto one from the states but it would be more simple to get one here with the right maps already on it. That's good to hear about the retainer. I'll talk to president Howes tonight and see if he knows anything about that.  Ha ha about finding P. Sherman 42 Wallaby way!

Halloween really isn't anything here. They don't even care about it. I think we might do a little tracting though, just to see if we get some candy :) Still haven't gotten a package but maybe it will be there tonight for zone leader council? I hope so! 

Oh yeah, the Harbor Bridge and stuff! We didn't get to see the 3D movie or telescope because when we got there, a bunch of asian people reserved every showing that day.... lame!! Maybe next time though. So we just went up the bridge pylon, went to the opera house, and a place called pancakes on the rocks which was yummy :) we got inside of the opera house for a few minutes. IT WAS SWEET! I forgot to take a picture in there though.. I have pictures attached! 

I'll answer the questions before I go.

1. Something I would have done differently to spiritually prepare for my mission would definitely be to become more acquainted with Preach my Gospel.  I would have read it at least 5 or 6 times before my mission. 

2. I often get asked the question, "How do you know that it is true?".  
3. I wish I would have paid more attention to what my mom said about what kind of things I should eat or avoid when I am sick.

4. What I eat the most is probably Islander food. A lot of taro which is like a root type thing with no taste that supposedly has natural steriods that makes islanders huge.  I think it has worked for me.... unfortunately. I also ate a lot of McDonald's before my diet. Now I still eat a lot of McDonald's.. but it's all in my head :(

Anyways, I hope you have a great week. Talk to you soon!

Love, Elder Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment