Friday, October 12, 2012

Season Changing

Sept 16, 2012
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening or whenever you read this!

Good to hear that Makayla liked her little package :) I'll be thinking of what I want for christmas too! I haven't really thought about it hahah but I will.  I still need to get my ballot thing filled out. When do I need to have it done by?

Winter hasn't been to bad really, I think it rained more during the summer! But I hear it was a lousy summer. I actually have enjoyed the winter and am not excited for it to heat up again. So much easier to just throw on a jacket and adjust layers to get comfortable. When its hot, you are just out of luck. I will get a tan back though I think! Just need to do a lot of tracting. I'll probably get my new card at the beginning of next month, thats when I'll go to the mission office again.

For me it'sbeen another great week. Last transfer, Elder Honeycutt and I were buzzer tracting at a big block of units and while doing so a lady walked up to enter the units with her child in a stroller. Perfect, we got to talk to her and she was going to unit 4 which we had already buzzed unsuccessfully. After talking, we found out she was from the Cook islands and was keen to learn from us. We set up a time to see her the next week. Elder Honeycutt went to see her at that appointment on trade-offs and called her beforehand to confirm it. Her mom was visiting her and she said that she couldn't meet with us because her mom was opposed to it, and our potential investigator, Cecilia, "had her own church". So that was that. It seemed as though she was crossed off the list. A couple weeks ago I suggested that we go try her again. We buzzed her unit and she answered on the intercom. We set up an appointment for a few days in the future. When we went to teach her, our fellowship flaked and we weren't able to go inside to teach her because her partner wasn't home. Luckily she said to come back that weekend when he was home. FINALLY, we got to teach her. She has amazing questions. Probably the most humble, most teachable person I have ever met! She is very very receptive to the spirit. Her gospel knowledge is very low. We had to first teach her that only good things come from God and only bad things come from the devil. That's how little she knows. We didn't teach the whole restoration so we set up to go see her the next day. When we went to see her, she said that she felt like texting us and making up an excuse to not meet with us, but then she said she remembered the things we taught her and recognized that she was being tempted, so she didn't cancel and she said she felt so so good that she didn't cancel. She is learning that through Jesus is the only way to be happy and to be saved. I have never observed the spirit working so quickly and obviously with someone before. I feel so blessed to be a part of this experience.

One area in my life that I have improved on this last week would have to be virtue. Virtue is a tricky thing to have. It is so easy to misuse our mind or thoughts or desires. I feel as though the spirit has taught me a lot about obedience being a burden vs a choice. Doing good things because we have to vs doing good things because we want to. I am truly learning to be "freely obedient" as the days goes by. The feeling of committing to do something and knowing that you will never ever waver from that commitment is a very good feeling. I am so glad that I have the opportunity to learn valuable things each day and also for this chance that I have to serve the children of the Lord. My brothers and sisters.

Look forward to hearing more next week! :)

Love, Elder Thompson


We had a little fun with the mirrors, the videos are even better.

The KillaBurger

Close up

Zone Pday after Killaburger. all the Elders except the Samoan speakers are in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment