Saturday, September 1, 2012

Camping out

Hello!

Wow I'm so jealous that you all get to be out camping! I really miss it! haha I hope to have some pictures sent to me pretty soon. I guess I'd better send some as well.. I have to go get batteries for my camera though.. woops!

I have had a really great and very fast week! I had one of the most amazing experiences in my mission and life this week. I got to share my core experience with God, with three other people at once. I was on trade offs in Sutherland. I was on trade offs with Elder Lee. We had planned to see a less-active member at night but we had to reschedule with her to a time earlier in the day. We had no guy to go with us so we figured we would just at least go have a door chat. When we got there, we found out that her little brother who is 18 was unexpectedly home at that time. So we got to go inside! Miracle #1. We shared a message with her but her brother just kinda sat at the computer and didn't really interact much or show interest. As we talked with the girl, Sah, she said that her little bro wasn't a member of the church. What a perfect opportunity. He didn't seem interested but it was worth a shot! We started to talk to him and inquire about his beliefs. He had been to our church before but didn't really like it because he was too confused as a kid and stuff. We told him that our job was to teach people that basic foundation of knowledge so that they aren't confused at church. After a few minutes of talking about helping him understand our purpose, his sister and us were able to convince him to hear the message of the restoration. He said ok and agreed to just turn around in his chair at the computer. To make a long story short, we began teaching and delivered the best lesson that I have ever taught. That's because the spirit was so strong. So strong!!! At the time of explaining the first vision, a little toddler was running around jumping and getting chased and making disruption but Semu (the one we were teaching) was locked on the picture of Joseph Smith in the grove. It was amazing. His sister Sah did an excellent job of helping him understand as well. By the end of the lesson the spirit pretty much forced me to invite him to be baptised and he accepted a date 3 weeks away. At the end of the lesson the only question he had was "Is it true that this will change my life?" We said yes and he was very comforted. He said he just wanted a better life and future. Before we left, he looked down and the Book of Mormon in his hand and said "Never thought I would have ever gotten into this... but.... ". He didn't know what the Holy Ghost was before but we clearly helped him understand that this feeling he had, which he had never felt before, was just that. God telling him that this was true, that he loved him, and that everything would be okay. This was one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever had. Really the first time I have met someone that was so open to the spirit and humble enough to change. The Sutherland area has REALLY struggled for new investigators lately and with the snap of a finger (Gods finger) they now have someone to baptize. I am so thankful that I could be a part of such a miracle.

I'll be looking forward to the mission conference next week so that I can become even more focused on my purpose as a missionary and be reaffirmed that the Lord in on my side. I wish to be humbled and learn new things that I can apply in my life as a missionary and also for the rest of my life. I hope that all these experiences help me grow and progress toward eternal life.

Love, Elder Thompson

PS- There is an Elder here who's name is Elder Smiler. He is from New Zealand haha. There is also and Elder Elder. hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment