Saturday, February 2, 2013

January HOT or COLD?

January 13, 2013

Hey there! 

Wow, just reading your email makes me cold! Yeah it's crazy, last Tuesday it got up to 45 Degrees Celsius which is about 113 F.  It was HOT!  Luckily it was P-day so it wasn't too bad and it was dry heat so it didn't really even bother me that much: the next day though was only about 35 C which is about 95 F but it was really humid and was WAY worse! Temps have cooled down though so no worries! :)

This week has been a good one! Our next investigator to get baptised, Miriam from Africa has been wanting to read the Book of Mormon but can't because her eyesight is really bad from being tear gassed in third world countries. Sad. She does wear glasses but still can't read the small words. She had borrowed a magnifying glass from her friend but had to give it back and was unable to read the small words. Elder Bringhurst and I decided to take a few minutes on Saturday and go buy her a new magnifying glass. It took a while to find because it's an unusual thing to look for but we finally got it and drove to her place and surprised her with it.  She was SO EXCITED!!! We were at the door and she immediately went and grabbed her Book of Mormon, she knew we couldn't come in because there wasn't another man but she knew we could go out on the porch.  She immediately found her spot where she was reading the testimony of Joseph Smith and read a paragraph and looked up with a huge smile. The closest thing I could relate it to is the happiness I saw from Makayla when she got that stuffed snake for her birthday or Christmas, hahaha.  It really touched me at how blessed we are to have the scriptures, and not only that but the ability to read them! For blind people we have audio, for deaf people we have Book of Mormon on video in ASL. Sometimes we take those SMALL things like eyes that can read small words for granted.  Amazing! 

I still get email track updates from Coach Buhrley and saw that there was a lot of commotion with the snow for them trying to figure out how to bus all the kids to Logan for a track meet. They ended up not going because of the weather. That is crazy! That stinks the Packers lost :( Didn't even make it to the NFC championship. Oh well, I still wear my Green Bay Packers pennant on the inside of my suit! :)

Today we are going to go watch more movies in that home theater. Did I ever send pictures of that? We're probably going to watch the Lion King and Tangled. That is subject to change though. We have figured out that pretty much any movie that is animated, President Howes will approve it, especially if it is Disney, Pixar, or Dreamworks. 

The work is picking up! Being really really really really really busy is a normal thing now. We are constantly finding new people to teach, teaching them, baptizing them and all else. Miracles are everywhere. I see them every day. I love this work and I love the Lord.

Oh yeah! Are you guys still having family prayer and scripture reading and family home evening? If so, keep it up. If not, start it up. For a small sacrifice of time, you will know why Heavenly Father wants you to do it. I have learned that. I never realized that before but now I know there is nothing more important. 

Till next week!

Love, Elder Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment